Big Data Engineer
Launched in October 2018, the Likewise app is the fun, social and incredibly useful way for people to discover, curate, and share recommendations on TV shows, movies, books, podcasts, restaurants, travel and more. Best of all, Likewise helps people quickly find recommendations from their friends, family, and other trusted sources.
Imagined and backed by Bill Gates’ private office, Likewise is a rare early-stage startup that is thinking big, playing to win, and investing to continue its rapid growth trajectory. If you are passionate about what you do, and want to be a core part of creating a household consumer name, then come talk to us about getting in on the fun!
Here's a link to a Geekwire article about us: https://bit.ly/2RuxBlx. And Built In Seattle named us one of Seattle’s 50 Startups to Watch in 2019! https://bit.ly/2VXup3o
With the Likewise app launched, we have a lot of fun and creative work ahead of us in making Likewise’s AI into the end-all-be-all for determining the best recommendations to consumers across any category – movies, podcasts, books, restaurants, travel, and more! The work you will be doing is the foundation to making Likewise AI real, and it won’t happen without you. You’ll redefine how AI makes recommendations, and in doing so, change people’s lives for the better. We expect to grow the team as the company grows, and the right candidate will have the potential to lead that growth.
- Create a process that handles our disparate internal and external data sources and automatically converts that unstructured data into structured data to be consumed by machine learning and our product, marketing, and executive teams
- Build data process pipelines for new and existing data sources
- Glean insights and business opportunities from the data, and champion ideas for improvement based on those insights to the product team
- Lead the external data sources collection effort, and creatively identify new, relevant data sources that will positively impact our products and users
- Work closely with the Data Science team to complete all data needs
- Find the handful of outliers in massive data sets and define processes to handle them
- 4+ years of relevant technical experience, including 2+ years with noSQL databases (MongoDB preferred)
- Hands-on experience with web crawling/web scraping required (6+ months)
- Experience developing and implementing ETL architectures with large, complex data sets
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills
- Beyond the technical, strong business thinking is required, including experience or interest in consumer apps/consumer tech
- Curiosity about anomalies in the data and the ability to identify the business opportunities they represent.
- Strong communication skills and excitement around championing your great ideas and insights to stakeholders at all levels
- Azure experience is a plus
Located in downtown Bellevue, close to restaurants, shopping, parks and transit, we are proud to offer a competitive benefits package including stock options, health care where we pay 100% of employee premiums, 401(k) plan, commuter benefits, flexible paid time off, and a culture that’s team-based, open, casual and fun. If you’re looking for a rare opportunity to be a part of an innovative, exciting company and become a key member on our team, join us!
We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.